WET LUNG?!?! What is this all about?

Hello again, Dawn here, your loyal  A Clean Cigarette blogger. Today’s topic is a serious one that I think we need to talk about ASAP.

If like me, you have seen headlines like the ones below all over the place AND you or a loved one uses a vapor product or e-cigarette, then you are probably more than a little concerned. I mean just look at these headlines! WTH is going on?

CNN:

“Teen develops ‘wet lung’ after vaping for just 3 weeks”

 

Newsweek: 

“WHAT IS WET LUNG? TEENAGER SUFFERS RESPIRATORY FAILURE AFTER VAPING FOR 3 WEEKS”

 

USA Today:

“Teen gets ‘wet lung’ after vaping for three weeks, prompting doctors to issue warning”

And the list goes on. But what happened here? I am someone who needs the whole story so I went to investigate. What I found made a ton of sense to someone like me.

What is Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis or “Wet Lung” as some people refer to it?

According to Lung.Org a very reputable site dedicated to the respiratory and lung issues it’s an allergic reaction. Take a peek for yourself just click HERE for a direct link to the sight.


⇓ To save you some time I have cut and pasted a portion of the lung.org page ⇓

Learn About Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis is a disease of the lungs in which your lungs become inflamed as an allergic reaction to inhaled dust, fungus, molds or chemicals.

Key Facts

  • Hypersensitivity pneumonitis is caused by an allergy to certain dusta (allergens) that you inhale.
  • This allergy causes inflammation in your lungs
  • If detected early, and you avoid the allergy-producing substance, the inflammation can be reversed.
  • Sometimes hypersensitivity pneumonitis can cause lung scarring if it is not detected early and you continue to be exposed to the substances.

What Is Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis?

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis is caused by an allergy to certain dust (allergens) that you breathe in. Commonly, these allergens are naturally occurring (organic). These allergens may be present at home, work or in the environment. ”


But if it’s just an allergy why don’t the headlines read more like this:

“Teen suffers respiratory failure after an allergic reaction to e-cigarette use”

Or even:

“Rare occasions of allergy may raise concerns on e-cigarette and vapor use”

 

I can not answer that question what I can say is that this is a serious situation and it appears to be a very rare one too. While “wet lung” is a very dangerous issue for people that develop this allergy it really does not change our advice for use at all. Much like the rare chance of an allergy to Propylene Glycol, allergies are something that needs to be kept in mind. Users of any e-cigarette or vapor product need to listen to their bodies. As a matter of fact, that should be the advice given to us when it comes to using ANYTHING new. Whether it be a new brand of shampoo or a brand new flavor of e-juice if you find that you are reacting to it in any way STOP use and consult a Doctor.

The poor young lady that these headlines are referring too is, unfortunately, going to be dealing with this tragic lung issue for the rest of her life, but it did not have to be that way. Understanding our bodies and listening to what is being said by our bodies is our number one line of defense against permanent damage due to an allergic reaction.

The only “upside” to this whole thing is that it clearly demonstrates the drama-driven media and the lengths they will go to in an effort to drive up ratings. They KNOW that this was an allergy and some articles even point out that it is the first real reported allergy for an industry that is now about 10 years old. Which is actually REALLY good considering. But don’t hold your breath for them to report it like that in the headline, there is no money in reporting the “upside”.

I hope you found this information helpful. If you are interested in the case study of the young lady effected you can take a look by clicking HERE. If you have more questions about this or ANY e-cigarette related topic please feel free to reach out to me on our Facebook page or leave me a comment below. A direct link to our FB can be found in the sidebar running down the right hand of this page. Thank you again for taking the time to stay informed!

Bye,

Dawn


DawnACC
DawnACC

Author



Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.