Hey all Dawn here. The other day I posted a blog that you may or may not have seen. It was in regards to the Wales health commission saying that e-cigarette bans are misguided and just plain wrong. If you are interested in reading that full blog post Click here. It was a fun post to do and I smiled that entire day.
Why was I smiling? Because I had a feeling that once one health organization started to step up and speak out about all the good that can come from electronic cigarettes then more would. I was right!!
Today NHS which is Britain’s National Health Services made a historic announcement! My Email has been dinging all morning with headlines such as:
When I started to see these headlines and read these stories I knew that I had to find the actual report the NHS released so I could read it for myself. This is big news, and I like to be real sure that the news I share with you is as accurate as possible. I found a TON of places it is mentioned, but finding the document was a little more difficult. I however love a challenge, so I present to you
The report opens with a letter penned by Duncan Selbie, Chief Executive, PHE. In the letter he states that “Many people think the risks of e-cigarettes are the same as smoking tobacco and this report clarifies the truth of this. In a nutshell, best estimates show e-cigarettes are 95% less harmful to your health than normal cigarettes, and when supported by a smoking cessation service, help most smokers to quit tobacco altogether”
Further down the document itself we start to see a list of “Key Messages”
1. Smokers who have tried other methods of quitting without success could be encouraged to try e-cigarettes (EC) to stop smoking and stop smoking services should support smokers using EC to quit by offering them behavioural support.
2. Encouraging smokers who cannot or do not want to stop smoking to switch to EC could help reduce smoking related disease, death and health inequalities.
3. There is no evidence that EC are undermining the long-term decline in cigarette smoking among adults and youth, and may in fact be contributing to it. Despite some experimentation with EC among never smokers, EC are attracting very few people who have never smoked into regular EC use.
4. Recent studies support the Cochrane Review findings that EC can help people to quit smoking and reduce their cigarette consumption. There is also evidence that EC can encourage quitting or cigarette consumption reduction even among those not intending to quit or rejecting other support. More research is needed in this area.
5. When used as intended, EC pose no risk of nicotine poisoning to users, but eliquids should be in ‘childproof’ packaging. The accuracy of nicotine content labelling currently raises no major concerns.
6. There has been an overall shift towards the inaccurate perception of EC being as harmful as cigarettes over the last year in contrast to the current expert estimate that using EC is around 95% safer than smoking.
7. Whilst protecting non-smoking children and ensuring the products on the market are as safe and effective as possible are clearly important goals, new regulations currently planned should also maximise the public health opportunities of EC.
8. Continued vigilance and research in this area are needed.
That’s as I like to say HUGE!! This next bit I found in the report is also massively important!
Pay special attention to that last bulletin point. It advises public places and health locations to allow e-cig use as much as possible. Wow, that is a completely different message than what we have been hearing on the media!! It’s about time that the health organizations get on the right side of this battle!
It is important to note that none of this changes a thing about the current regulations here in the USA. That being said, this report is a solid step in the forward direction! Remember that no great change in history came without adversity! Just think about the switch from horse and buggy to automobiles. Learn more about that here ⇓. Click the pic for the full blog post on updates in history!
Change maybe hard, but it is so worth the effort! We cannot know exactly where these changes are going to lead to, although I can say that the UK has already started adding e-cigarettes to their quit smoking web pages!
Well, I am off the blog for a bit. Hopefully I will be back with good news very soon! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop in and see what all this chatter is about! If you have any questions drop me an e-mail to AccAnswers@gmail.com. Or if you are looking for more information on how to make the switch off of the 600 ingredients, 4,000 chemicals and tar found in burning tobacco check out our website at acleancigarette.com. A Clean Cigarette brand electronic cigarettes are just the tool to help you switch! Have a great day, and please take a moment to like our FB page. We really appreciate every single like from our amazing customers! You can find a link to it a the top of the side bar on this page! ⇒ Thank you so much!!