Welcome back!, Dawn again, I have to say when I agreed to do this blog I had no real Idea what I was going to say. I mean there is a lot going on in the e-cig world but how much content can that really be? Well it sure shocked me for sure. There are SOOO many articles and papers out there regarding electronic cigarettes. I have not gotten through a froth of them. What I have seen is some pretty amazing stuff though so I have decided I would share some of those articles and studies with you! Here are a few quotes in regards to the Electronic industry. Let’s start with one of my favorite sources.
This is a systematic review that has a whole lot to say on e-cigs. For those of us who do not know what a systematic review is (I didn’t myself before I started working at A Clean Cigarette) let me explain it as simply as possible. A systematic review is a study of studies. What I mean is, someone takes all the studies they can find on a subject and then studies them. pretty cool I think. It sure makes it way easy to find a whole ton of really great and useful information! Here is just a few examples of what this report has to say about electronic cigarettes.
• The popularity of ECs may be due to their ability to deal both with the physical (i.e. nicotine) and the behavioral component of smoking addiction. In particular, sensory stimulation [Rose and Levin, 1991] and simulation of smoking behavior and cigarette manipulation [Hajek et al. 1989] are important determinants of a product’s effectiveness in reducing or completely substituting smoking. These features are generally absent in nicotine replacement therapies (NRTs) and oral medications for nicotine dependence, whereas ECs are unique in that they provide rituals associated with smoking behavior (e.g. hand-to-mouth movement, visible ‘smoke’ exhaled) and sensory stimulation associated with it [Farsalinos et al. 2013b]. This explains why these products can be effective in reducing consumption of tobacco smoking [Bullen et al. 2013; Caponnetto et al. 2013b; Polosa et al. 2011] and are efficient as long-term substitutes of conventional cigarettes [Farsalinos et al. 2013b].
• Therefore, it seems that ECs have a huge theoretical advantage in terms of health risks compared with conventional cigarettes due to the absence of toxic chemicals that are generated in vast quantities by combustion. Furthermore, nicotine delivery by ECs is unlikely to represent a significant safety issue, particularly when considering they are intended to replace tobacco cigarettes, the most efficient nicotine delivery product.
• Existing evidence indicates that EC use is by far a less harmful alternative to smoking. There is no tobacco and no combustion involved in EC use; therefore, regular vapers may avoid several harmful toxic chemicals that are typically present in the smoke of tobacco cigarettes. Indeed, some toxic chemicals are released in the EC vapor as well, but their levels are substantially lower compared with tobacco smoke, and in some cases (such as nitrosamines) are comparable with the amounts found in pharmaceutical nicotine products.
• ECs are a revolutionary product in tobacco harm reduction. Although they emit vapor, which resembles smoke, there is literally no fire (combustion) and no ‘fire’ (suspicion or evidence that they may be the cause for disease in a similar way to tobacco cigarettes). Due to their unique characteristics, ECs represent a historical opportunity to save millions of lives and significantly reduce the burden of smoking-related diseases worldwide.
Amazing stuff isn’t it. Let’s check out a few other quotes found on the internet. This time we are going to go to the New York Health Commission for some more valuable information.
This is an article petition filed in regards to non prescription nicotine replacement therapies. This is what they have to say about it all.
• “Smokers smoke because they are addicted to nicotine in cigarettes,” said Dr. Daines. “But it is the smoke, not the nicotine, which causes a long list of diseases, including lung cancer, heart disease, stroke and emphysema.”
• “Nicotine is the addictive ingredient in cigarettes that keeps smokers hooked, but it’s not the ingredient that harms smokers’ health,” emphasized Ursula Bauer, Ph.D., M.P.H, director of the state’s Tobacco Control Program. “With safe nicotine products, smokers can give up the smoke without giving up the nicotine.”
• “By offering safe nicotine products wherever cigarettes are sold, at prices and package sizes similar to cigarettes, smokers will have a real choice about whether to purchase the toxic, deadly nicotine or safe, clean nicotine,” explained Commissioner Daines. “The more that smokers have access to safe nicotine products and the more comfortable they are using them, the less attractive cigarettes will be.”
I know this is running long as far as blogs go but I do have 1 more great source to share. Let’s have a look since we are already here.
Dr. Joel Nitzkin has a bunch to say about electronic cigarettes in this UK interview. It is important to note that if you are going to search around the internet for information on E-cigs (and we think you should) you may find it much easier to find UK sources then USA sources. That’s because it is much harder to obtain information here in this great country. We understand that much of the red tape associated with studies in general is in an effort to protect people. We just don’t understand why they seem to be placing more red tape on E-cigarette studies then ANY OTHER type of study out there. But I digress, lets take a look at what the Dr. has to say.
• So if we can figure that the nicotine in the e-cigarettes is basically a generic version of the same nicotine that is in prescription products, we have every reason to believe that the hazard posed by e-cigarettes would be much lower than one percent, probably lower than one tenth of one percent of the hazard posed by regular cigarettes.
• “If we get all those smokers to switch from regular cigarettes … we would eventually reduce that death toll from 400,000 a year to less than 4000 a year, maybe as low as 400 a year.”
I hope you like all the information I am trying to pass along in my blog. I hope it is entertaining as well as informative. If you have any thoughts or comments PLEASE share them. If you want to contact me directly just E-mail email@example.com, I will respond. If you would just like some more information on A Clean Cigarette brand e-cigs go to our page at acleancigarette.com. You are all appreciated!