Hello, out there from the A Clean Cigarette Blog! It’s Dawn here again and today we are going to work on something that I have had a lot of people mention to me in the past. Before we go on I would like to ask a few questions…..
- Have you as an A Clean Cigarette user or family member of a user ever have nay-sayers bug you regarding e-cigarettes?
- Have you ever tried to tell a smoker about these products and had them answer you with skeptical questions.
- Have you ever wished you had a few talking points available to answer both naysayers and curious minds?
- Do you have a lot of hands-on experience with A Clean Cigarette brand electronic cigarettes and a really great personal testimony to share, but you wish you had more detailed information to give?
- Are you a warrior for the cause and would just like a tool to pass to people so that they can be informed?
If you answered yes to any of those questions, no worries you are not alone. It happens from time to time that a customer or a loved one of a customer will reach out to me to seek out talking point. Whether they need the talking points to reassure a naysayer or to just satisfy their own interest, we wanted to make it easy.
With that in mind, I threw together a PDF of information for you to use as a guide. I will copy and paste it here, but will also add a hyperlink to the PDF itself in case any of you amazing warriors want to print it out.
Quick-Guide Talking Points; A Clean Cigarette brand electronic cigarette.
Verbiage & Definitions:
ENDS = Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
EC = Electronic Cigarette
E-Liquid = A liquid that typically contains nicotine that is heated to the vapor point using an ENDS device. This liquid is required to deliver the nicotine to the user.
Open Unit = ENDS devices that require the consumer to manually handle and add E-liquid to the devices. In some cases, the consumer is responsible for applying the proper nicotine dosage to the e-fluid.
Closed Unit = Preloaded devices that do not require the consumer to handle the liquid. Offers a pre-measured dosage of nicotine. Often fully/partially disposable.
Cig-a-like = ENDS device designed to look, feel and taste like a cigarette, while duplicating the rituals of traditional cigarette smoking. I.e. visible puff of “smoke”, hand to mouth motion, and authentic throat feel. Designed to be attractive to older consumer demographics, specifically long-term addicts of nicotine via the traditional burning tobacco cigarette.
Tank Model = Large ENDS devices that require manual adding of e-liquids. These devices are known for the 1000’s of available flavors and the large “clouds” of vapor they create.
Vape Pen = a tank model ENDS device that is typically an open unit, but closed unit models can be found. Considered a smaller version of the Tank Model ENDS devices. Most currently available Vape Pens offer a variety of fruity and childlike flavors and are brightly colored to be attractive to younger consumer demographics.
MOD = An Open Unit that requires extensive manual manipulation by the consumer in addition to the manual handling of the E-liquid. These devices are typically larger and more capable of producing over exaggerated levels of visible vapor “clouds”. Their increased size and power added to the risk of unintended consumer modification and possible consumer error due to lack of education on the proper modification of these units create fire/explosion risks not observed in other ENDS designs such as Cig-a-like and Vape Pen Models.
NIH = National Institute of Health
GRAS = A list of ingredients that are Generally Recognized as Safe by the FDA.
CTP = Center for Tobacco Products; FDA
ACC = A Clean Cigarette
Industry-Wide Topics and Discussions:
Debate: Are ENDS devices a harmless product?
ACC Answer: Nothing inhaled into the lungs, besides clean air, is harmless. ENDS units deliver nicotine to the lungs of the consumer. Nicotine is not a harmless product. This is one of the primary reasons never-smokers and minors should not be introduced to ENDS
Debate: Is the benefit to the consumer regarding open units great enough to validate the risk of accidental nicotine exposure via the nicotine-containing e-liquids?
ACC Answer: No, all efforts should be made to protect the consumer from accidental contact with liquid nicotine solutions. Nicotine can be absorbed through the skin. Skin to nicotine contact may result in accidental nicotine poisoning and/or nicotine overdose.
Debate: Do childlike and candy-flavored e-liquids offer enough benefit to existing long-term nicotine addicts to overshadow the much higher risk of attracting underage and never smokers to a nicotine-containing product?
ACC Answer: We believe that although some smoker may benefit from sweet and exotic flavors that this decision is a moral one. The risk of minor and never smokers being attracted to a variety of trendy flavors is too great. Even the increase in revenue that a wider variety of flavors would offer us here at ACC does not overtake the possible public harm damage that could happen by making these products attractive to new nicotine users, of any age.
In addition, our informal market research shows that many older smokers do not feel comfortable with drastic changes. With the traditional ritual of the delivery method already being altered, it is understandably crucial that other traditional rituals are retained for a smooth transition in the oldest smoking demographics.
A Clean Cigarette Talking Points:
A Clean Cigarette is a Cig-a-like ENDS device.
A Clean Cigarette is a Closed Unit system
A Clean Cigarette is a burning tobacco cigarette alternative.
A Clean Cigarette only hires smokers who have made the switch and understand. It is, for this reason, we say we are smokers helping smokers since 2010.
A Clean Cigarette is ONLY intended for sale to existing burning tobacco smokers and nicotine addicts who are looking for an alternative to the burning tobacco cigarette.
A Clean Cigarette contains nicotine, nicotine is an addictive substance.
A Clean Cigarette is not for underage use.
A Clean Cigarette is limited in availability to 13 total flavors. Those flavors include multiple menthol, non-menthol, fruit, and cigar flavors. All of our fruit flavors are found in current cigars brands, however, our flavors only make up a very tiny fraction of our sales compared to the millions of menthol and non-menthol cartridges that we have sold. We do not offer candy or exotic flavors.
A Clean Cigarette is created in a certified clean room under sterile conditions. All efforts are made to prevent cross-contamination and to maintain stated nicotine dosage. All Ingredients not including nicotine are on the FDA’s GRAS list.
A Clean Cigarette packaging is “clinical” in style to reduce the risk of brightly colored packaging attracting minor. We are not trendy or cool in design or marketing. This is intentional in nature.
Science, Evidence and Support Data:
- Mitchell Zeller former director of the FDA’s CTP says that “It is not the nicotine that kills half of all long-term cigarette smokers, the nicotine creates and sustains the addictions, but it’s not the nicotine that kills people.” (1)
- According to a recent Georgetown University Study if all current smokers switched to ENDS devices over the next 10 years as many as 6.6 million lives would be saved. (2)
- According to Public Health England’s systematic review of the available evidence regarding ENDS devices, ENDS use is approximately 95% less harmful than traditional burning tobacco nicotine delivery systems. (3)
- A systematic review currently published on NIH.GOV, that took into consideration over a hundred different articles, studies, clinicals and other data supports the A Clean Cigarette belief that sticking to the Rituals of burning tobacco habit increases the odds of a successful switch to an ENDS from burning tobacco. (4) “ECs are unique in that they provide rituals associated with smoking behavior (e.g. hand-to-mouth movement, visible ‘smoke’ exhaled) and sensory stimulation associated with it [Farsalinos et al. 2013b]. This explains why these products can be effective in reducing consumption of tobacco smoking [Bullen et al. 2013; Caponnetto et al. 2013b; Polosa et al. 2011] and are efficient as long-term substitutes of conventional cigarettes [Farsalinos et al. 2013b].”
- The same document mentioned in previous bullet point concluded that (4) “ECs are a revolutionary product in tobacco harm reduction.” And that “Due to their unique characteristics, ECs represent a historical opportunity to save millions of lives and significantly reduce the burden of smoking-related diseases worldwide.”
- In light of recent evidence, the FDA has opted to postpone the previously announced regulatory requirements and revisit considering ENDS devices as reduced harm options for nicotine delivery. In the FDA issued press release dated July 28th, 2017 a plan was outlined to decrease the nicotine levels in traditional burning tobacco cigarettes in order to promote smokers who either cannot or will not quit nicotine to switch to ENDS devices for their nicotine delivery needs. (5)
(1) Vonder Haar, M. Dec. 18th 2013. CSP Daily News. “Zeller on E-Cigs; It’s Complicated”. Retrieved from: http://www.cspdailynews.com/category-news/tobacco/articles/zeller-e-cigs-its-complicated
(2) Levy DT, Borland R, Lindblom EN, et al Potential deaths averted in USA by replacing cigarettes with e-cigarettes Tobacco Control Published Online First: 02 October 2017. doi: 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2017-053759. Retrieved from: http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/early/2017/08/30/tobaccocontrol-2017-053759
(3) McNeill, A. Brose, LS. Calder, R. Hitchman, SC. Hajek, P. McRobbie, H. August, 2015. “E-cigarettes: an evidence update”. A Report Commissioned by Public Health England. Retrieved from: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/457102/Ecigarettes_an_evidence_update_A_report_commissioned_by_Public_Health_England_FINAL.pdf
(4) Farsalinos K, Polosa R. Safety evaluation and risk assessment of electronic cigarettes as tobacco cigarette substitutes: a systematic review. Therapeutic Advancement in Drug Safety. 2014;5(2):67.-86 Retrieved from: http://www.acvoda.nl/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Therapeutic_Advances_in_Drug_Safety-2014-Farsalinos-2042098614524430.pdf
(5) U.S. Food and Drug Administration
10903 New Hampshire Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20993
Full Press Release: https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm568923.htm
Okay, I hope this is helpful! As promised the link to the PDF can be found here: Industry Talking Points Document Print this, if you would like and pass it to ANYONE that you think needs to see it.
If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me. Either here as a comment, on our Facebook as a message or e-mail me at AccAnswers@gmail.com. Recently I have had issues with G-mail sending random important e-mails to the dreaded spam folder!?! If you have written me and I have not responded PLEASE reach out to me on our FB: ACC FB .
Thank you so much for coming here today and thank you for caring enough to stay informed.
You freaking rock!
Leave a comment